Saturday, October 27, 2007

Decatur Indoor Sports Center

Now that I've got a full time job set to start in Springfield in November, my mind turns to gym memberships. Our current neighborhood ranks a 6 out of 100 on the online walkability calculator and we have no nearby gyms so the exercise portion of my life has been on standby for three years.

Our last two or three years in Decatur we had a family membership at the DISC and I loved it. First of all, the overall price is pretty inexpensive because it's part of the park district, but throw in Millikin alumni discount PLUS an employer with wellness benefits and it was downright silly how little access to this fantastic gym cost.

B and I both enjoyed early morning workouts in the nearly empty cardio and weight machine room. I found the equipment to be better quality at DISC than at the UI gyms and you don't have to reserve a time. In the evenings we would walk around the indoor track and watch basketball and batting practice. We would occassionally take over an empty court on the spur of the moment. A friend and I took rock wall climbing classes that made us feel like spaghetti afterward. Right before I became pregnant I took a Pilates class that kicked my tush even though at that point I was working out 4-5 days a week. Plus there was a free weights room I never even entered.

DISC is a gem of a gym and a jewel in the crown of "We like it here" Decatur.

No comments: