Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday Five

I've been tagged by A Mom's Life to do the five unusual/interesting things about me. I'm gonna do my best to keep with the central Illinois theme.

1. In 1997, B and I got completely lost in the woods at Moraine View State Park after dark and had to figure out a way to a road, then hitchhike back to the park and the truck. It was October and got dark much faster then we anticipated. Luckily, we were wearing jeans and nice sweaters and not all hippied out.
2. Before we left Decatur I discovered a house for sale on 5 wooded acres right in the middle of the near west side - like halfway between downtown and Millikin and slightly south of Wood St. I was sitting in the long driveway thinking how magical it would be to live there when a whitetail deer walked right up to my car.
3. Millikin only charges $100 for alumni weddings at the chapel. We were probably one of the first weddings there and we put down a $25 deposit and Millikin never tried to collect the remaining $75.
4. On Phish's summer tour in 1997 or 1998 B and I did the midwest leg going to Indy, Chicago, and Wisconsin. We camped one night in Kickapoo State Park near Danville. We couldn't find firewood to buy any where and ended up burning some wood that made a huge black cloud of smoke. Oops.
5. On campaign in 2000 and 2002 on the Fourth of July I walked in 3-4 parades on each day. In 2002 the Fourth of July march of heat and concrete sealed my resolve to never do another campaign.

No comments: