Friday, August 3, 2007

West Detention Basin, Normal

Today my son and I met a friend at the West Detention Basin park in Normal. It was the first time I've been there and I had a little trouble finding it. It is located on Raab Road west of Linden way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaay north in Normal.

The playground equipment is new and geared for smaller children. We had toddlers to preschoolers and it was just the right size for them. The equipment is very nice and has some unusual features but the kids didn't last long because it was hovering around 90 degrees and the playground has no shade. My friend and I sat on a picnic table under a small pear tree in one of three shady spots. I'm glad I took sunscreen and lots of ice water, because we needed it.

This park would be much more fun on a cool or breezy day. It was too darn hot today to be outside without shade. BUT, I did get suggestions on great parks in BN that I haven't visited. Tomorrow I'll get back to big parks that I love. Your choice, Moraine View or Lake Shelbyville?

No comments: