Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Eastside Market, Decatur

Now a lot of the places I've blogged about are places you don't need to be a local to know about. Lake Shelbyville is a prime example, it's huge and people come from all over to enjoy it.

Eastside Market is a rare jewel, and I lived in Decatur for years and years before I learned about it. It is a 100 year old neighborhood grocery store with the best cuts of meat "this side of the Mississippi." The first two Christmas' after we moved from Decatur I continued to drive there for my Christmas roast. All I say to the "meat guru" is I want a nice roast for 10 people and I don't want to spend too much. I don't even know what they give me, but my Christmas roast is awesome. I think the biggest difference is that the meat is fresh every day.

When I was growing up in the early 80s there were still a few markets like this in my hometown. Now they are difficult to find. Shoot, it's easier to find an organic grocery than a neighborhood grocery. There is so much that is wonderful about having a neighborhood grocery store instead of a White Hen or other convenience store, especially in a poor area. I know a lot of people who would be unnerved by the surrounding neighborhood, but you really have to shop at Eastside once.

Eastside Market
1467 E. William
Decatur, Illinois

No comments: